Reasie's Ritin'

Get me away from myself.

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
NYC Day Three

So, after Opera Night, obviously we slept in.

Except I can't sleep in. I'm so not a sleeper-in-er. Not on vacation, anyway.

I brushed and braided my hair while watching the morning unfold 22 floors beneathe me.  Bright yellow and orange construction guys.  Buses with id numbers on their backs. The falafel truck opening up his windows.

Then I went down to get my muffin and tea, and I stopped in the gym to do a set of curls and tricep presses. Just 'cuz.

This was Coney Island Day.  My ensamble consisted of my Cthulu print skater dress and the "No Gods No Masters" necklace JenBo had given me.  I thought that made a nice statement. Also the necklace is green, which matches the dress.

I forced Brian against his will to have a muffin and we were off to Coney Island!

Every time I've been in New York, I've ended up on some train that says it goes to Coney Island. It was joyous to finally stay on one to the final stop! Well, next-to-final - that was the stop closest to the Cyclone.

The Cyclone! It crouches majestically across the street from the train station.  Built in 1927 it is a true classic, with only a lap bar and low seat backs. Safety shmafety.  Operated of course by simple wooden levers.

I was freaking and fangirling the entire time. The loading platform is a bit of a free-for-all, so we coulda gotten first car, or last car, but in deference to my hubby, I selected a car in the middle for a smoother ride.

The Cyclone is fast and fun! Even the chain-lift is surprisingly fast.  Lots of air time on the smaller hills, and some real throw-you turns.  Would ride again. And again. And again.

My one regret of the vacation is not getting the Cyclone t-shirt.  It looked really cute.  But... I already have too many t-shirts.

Luna Park is unique in many ways. It's not really one park? There are mini-parks with different owners.  Like a confederation.  There's no main entrance, really, and the park is broken up by streets. Imagine five blocks of amusement park, where each is actually a block.  You have to exit each block onto the beach or the street parallel to the beach, and re-enter the next block.  Did that make sense?

We didn't do our usual pre-amusement-park roller coaster reconaisance, so we had to rely on the ticket booth gal, who proudly figured out we could ride all the remaining roller coasters on a $40 value card. (They would have cost twice as much purchased individually!)  She also had the most dawling New Yawk accent.

First up was The Soaring Eagle. A lie-down coaster with a spiral lift hill that was nauseating yet awesome.  Compare to "Superman" but more janky? Also it was a wee bit more comfortable and easier to load and unload.  You climbed a short ladder into your human-pod, which closed behind you and then tilted forward.

Next: The Steeplechase.  Horsey Coaster! I started running for it as soon as I saw.  You straddle a vaguely carosel-horse seat (they had molded plastic cowboy legs that sat outside your legs.)  The lower-back bar squished me uncomfortably, but my tummy is sensitive that way.  It was a mag-launch, which is always scary - doubly so when you're on top of a fake horse!  After that, though, it was a fairly tame ride, and much fun.

"Wow," I said. "Those were both brand-new-to-us types of coasters! What's next?"  The Thunderbolt. A vertical lift, vertical drop steel coaster. Yeah, we'd ridden one of those before - The Shark in Galveston.

I chickened out.  Brian agreed to take a nice boardwalk stroll first.  I laid down in the sand for a bit. Just to lie in sand. OMG SAND.  I love sand.  Warm, soft, summery sand.

At last we made our way back to The Thunderbolt and I got my chicken self strapped in.  There was no wait.  The girl next to me assured me she'd ridden it dozens of times without dying.  The lift hill was scary. The sun was directly over head, so I closed my eyes, but then I didn't know how close we were to the top. Until I felt us bending forward.  I opened my eyes just in time for the drop and...

Oh, right... I /like/ hurtling toward the ground. That's why I ride these things.  The Thunderbolt was awesome, if a bit short.  Longer than The Shark, though.  Would ride many times again.  Smooth ride, too, and much more fun once I put my hands in the air.

Jubulent and famished, we hit the beach cantina for tacos!  I had the veggie taco and Brian had the fish and they were both AWESOME.  Also I got a mango marguerita that hit me like a brick with a slice of mango tied to it.  It was a wee bit chilly for frozen drinks, but there was something  awesomely summery about tacos and tequila on the boardwalk.  Oh, we also had mac and cheese bites. They were nice and warming.

Content and full, we went to ride the spinning wild mouse coaster, The Tickler.  It had the longest line we had yet faced that day.  The front of the park was now quite full of people when it had been nearly empty when we arrived.  The sun was warm, too, as the day reached its peak temperature of sixty-something.

I did wonder if getting drunk and eating a taco was a sound plan before getting on the spinny coaster.

We survived. ;)  Nausea factor about half a tilt-a-whirl.

We then walked down the boardwalk the other way, just to see as much of Coney Island as we could.  We admired the new Aquarium building under construction and the neat futuristic beach bathroom houses.  Then we walked through all the wee sections of park we'd missed, which resulted in buying tickets to the haunted house, which was delightfully tacky!

I felt downright at home in Coney Island. Already miss it and want to go back. Not just for the Cyclone T-shirt.  I wanna ride the Big Wheel and the Carosel.

Content and with shoes full of sand, we boarded the train back to Manhattan.  I was still tipsey when we stumbled into our hotel room to check email and confirm dinner plans with my pal Angus, who lives in Manhattan.

Then we took a nap. YAY NAPS.

Dinner with Angus was a mini-adventure, as the restaurant I'd picked - Max Brenner's - was a madhouse with an hour and a half wait for a table.  So we abandoned it and went walking in search of food.  Angus said there was a great pizza place nearby, but when we got to it, the gods of restauranting had smited it!  We looked forlornly at the abandoned storefront and then started walking "Toward Angus's Place" because he was more familiar with restaurants in that direction.  We ended up at a pub named Phoebe's where I had a very nice burger and whiskey and finally gave Angus the owl hat I'd been carrying around for him.

I took two hideous, blurry photos of Angus. Sorry, Angus. His photo of me and Brian came out MUCH BETTER.

He gave me homemade cookies by his girlfriend. They were oatmeal chocolate chip. SO GOOD.   I didn't want the evening to end, again, but Angus had to get home, so we swung by St. Mark's for some shopping and gawked at some archetecture around Union Square before heading down into the subway again.

Concluded in NYC Day Four >>

  • 1
Hello. I have been away for a long time, and wanted to stop by to say it's great to see you looking better and out enjoying life again.

Yes. Thank you! Brian pointed out to me just last night that it's been over two months since my last hospital stay. Which... makes this my longest time out of the hospital since 2014... which makes us cautiously optimistic that this is really finally behind us.

I gained five pounds over this trip. How about that! :D Thank you, New York! I didn't even catch cold, despite lots of sniffling coughing tourists around me and, quite frankly, my habit of sacrificing warmth to fashion.

  • 1

Log in